Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education
The Chief Legal Counsel handles legal issues involving the Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Higher Education and works with campus counsel on matters of system-wide importance.
- Handles all matters arising out of the actions of the BOR and commissioner, including providing advice on matters of Board authority and meeting procedure; reviewing meeting items; drafting formal legal opinions, contracts, policies and correspondence relating to the BOR, commissioner and system; and handling litigation as necessary.
- Works directly with OCHE programs, including the MUS Employee Benefits Plan, Family Education Savings Program, Rural Physicians Incentive Program, Student Financial Services Program, Workers Compensation Program, GEAR UP, and TRIO Programs.
- Supervises and coordinates the legal work of five other system attorneys, including two housed at Montana State University – Bozeman, two housed at the University of Montana – Missoula, and an associate counsel in the office of the commissioner;
- Advises the campuses and the community college districts as necessary.
- Coordinates, with campus counsel, the work of outside lawyers retained by the system or by the Tort Defense Division for specialized work or to handle specific cases;
- Works with legislative entities, the Governor’s office and other state agencies on behalf of the Montana University System.