2 Plus 2 Honor Scholarship
The 2 + 2 Honor Scholarship is awarded annually to students who graduate with an associate degree from a 2-year campus of the Montana University System or a Montana Community College (listed below). The scholarship consists of a waiver of undergraduate tuition at any 4-year unit of the Montana University System and may be received up to a total of four continuous (fall/spring) semesters.
The scholarship is transferable between eligible campuses provided the student maintains
a minimum 3.4 GPA at the home campus at the end of the academic year and demonstrates
progress toward a degree by completing at least 30 credit hours per year.
The scholarship does not cover mandatory or class fees. Students should ask the campus for a list of fees that are not covered by the scholarship.
This waiver may not be used in conjunction with any other MUS tuition waiver.
Students must graduate with an associate degree from one of these 2-year campuses:
Dawson Community College
Miles City Community College
Missoula College UM
Helena College UM
U of M - Western
City College MSU
Great Falls College MSU
MSU - Northern
Highlands College of MT Tech
Gallatin College MSU
Scholarships may be used at these 4-year campuses:
U of M - Western
MSU - Bozeman
MSU - Northern
Student Eligibility Requirements
A student is eligible to receive a 2 Plus 2 Honor Scholarship providing the student:
- Applies in June of the year immediately following their graduation (ex...a student that graduates Summer 2021, Fall 2021, or Spring 2022... must apply by June 2022);
- Has earned an associate’s degree from an eligible campus, with a minimum of 3.4 cumulative GPA;
- Has been enrolled and in attendance at an eligible campus for a minimum of two semesters prior to graduating;
- Has been accepted by or is enrolled at an eligible 4-year campus;
- Begins utilizing the scholarship the next chronological semester after receiving his or her associate degree (excluding summer semester); and
- Is a Montana resident.
How to Apply
Applying for a 2 + 2 Honor Scholarship is a multi-step process. You must complete each of the following steps and submit your application by the deadline to be considered complete (late or incomplete applications will not be accepted);
- Apply to and be accepted by one of the eligible campuses;
- Fill out the FAFSA to demonstrate Financial Need in case of a tie (optional - see “Awarding Process” below for more information)
- Request final transcript (or print unofficial from the online system), reflecting cumulative GPA as early as possible, a copy must be included with your application; and
- Apply online by June 30th directly after receiving Associate's Degree
Awarding Process and Criteria
Students that apply from each qualifying campus will be ranked in GPA order. The individual(s) with the highest GPA (calculated out to the hundreth) will be offered scholarships until the school’s determined number of scholarships has been exhausted. (See table below)
- In the event of ties, the student(s) with the greatest financial need will be awarded the scholarship(s), where need is defined as the lowest Expected Family Contribution as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This information will be based on the student’s FAFSA the year the student graduates with his or her associate degree. If the student does not file a FAFSA, the student will be deemed to have no financial need.
- If there is still a tie, the tie will be broken by an evaluation of the applicants’ response to a standard essay question, included on the application. In the event the student does not include a response to the essay question, the student will not be considered in this final step of the process.
Number of Scholarships
The number of scholarships offered to graduates from each school listed above is determined at the end of the academic year by the number of associate degree graduates from each respective school per the following table:
40 to 139 graduates
140 to 239 graduates
240 to 339 graduates
340 to 439 graduates
More than 440 graduates
- Begin using next chronological semester following the award (excluding summer);
- Complete a minimum of 30 credits per year;
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4 at the end of the academic year;
- Remain enrolled continuously each fall/spring semester for the life of the scholarship;
- Notify MUS Student Financial Services if they transfer to another eligible campus during the life of the scholarship; and
- Must first contact and make appropriate arrangements with the home campus, to waive tuition or receive credit for classes taken on-line at MUS qualifying campuses other than the home campus.
Transferring 2 Plus 2 Scholarships
With proper notification, 2 Plus 2 Scholarships may be transferred to other eligible campuses. Please sign into the Award Montana Portal to fill in the Campus Change form on the top tab