The 2 + 2 Honor Scholarship is awarded annually to students who graduate with an
associate degree from a 2-year campus of the Montana University System or a Montana
Community College (listed below). The scholarship consists of a waiver of undergraduate
tuition at any 4-year unit of the Montana University System and may be received
up to a total of four continuous (fall/spring) semesters. The 2 + 2 Honor Scholarship Application is available in PDF format.
The scholarship is transferable between eligible campuses provided the student
maintains a minimum 3.4 GPA at the home campus at the end of the academic year and
demonstrates progress toward a degree by completing at least 30 credit hours per
The scholarship does not cover mandatory or class fees. Students should ask the campus for a list of fees that are not covered by the scholarship.
This waiver may not be used in conjunction with any other MUS tuition waiver.
Students must graduate with an associate degree from one of these 2-year campuses:
|Flathead Valley Community College
Dawson Community College
Miles City Community College
Missoula College UM
Helena College UM
U of M - Western
|City College MSU
Great Falls College MSU
MSU - Northern
Highlands College of MT Tech
Gallatin College MSU
Scholarships may be used at these 4-year campuses:
|U of M - Missoula
U of M - Western
|MSU - Billings
MSU - Bozeman
MSU - Northern
Student Eligibility Requirements
A student is eligible to receive a 2 Plus 2 Honor Scholarship providing the student:
- Applies in June of the year immediately following their graduation (ex...a student that graduates Summer 2016, or Spring 2017...must apply by June 2017);
- Has earned an associate’s degree from an eligible campus, with a minimum of 3.4 cumulative GPA;
- Has been enrolled and in attendance at an eligible campus for a minimum of two semesters prior to graduating;
- Has been accepted by or is enrolled at an eligible 4-year campus;
- Begins utilizing the scholarship the next chronological semester after receiving his or her associate degree (excluding summer semester); and
- Is a United States Citizen and Montana resident.
How to Apply
Applying for a 2 + 2 Honor Scholarship is a multi-step process. You must complete each of the following steps and submit the required paperwork by the deadline in order for your application to be considered complete (late or incomplete applications will not be accepted);
- Apply to and be accepted by one of the eligible campuses;
- Fill out the FAFSA to demonstrate Financial Need in case of a tie (optional - see “Awarding Process” below for more information)
- Obtain an application online at www.scholarship.mt.gov or by visiting the Financial Aid Office of any eligible campus (applications will be available January 30th);
- Request your final transcript, reflecting cumulative GPA, as early as possible, this must be included with your application;
- Mail your application packet, which must include these materials;
- Signed application
- Final transcript (reflecting your cumulative GPA)
POSTMARKED by June 30th
Late, incomplete, or ineligible applications will not be accepted.
Applications will be available on this website in January
Awarding Process and Criteria
Students that apply from each qualifying campus will be ranked in GPA order. The
individual(s) with the highest GPA will be offered scholarships until the school’s
determined number of scholarships has been exhausted. (See table below)
- In the event of ties, the student(s) with the greatest financial need will be awarded the scholarship(s), where need is defined as the lowest Expected Family Contribution as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This information will be based on the student’s FAFSA the year the student graduates with his or her associate degree. If the student does not file a FAFSA, the student will be deemed to have no financial need.
- If there is still a tie, the tie will be broken by an evaluation of the applicants’ response to a standard essay question, included on the application. In the event the student does not include a response to the essay question, the student will not be considered in this final step of the process.
Number of Scholarships
The number of scholarships offered to graduates from each school listed above
is determined at the end of the academic year by the number of associate degree
graduates from each respective school per the following table:
|Less than 40 graduates
40 to 139 graduates
140 to 239 graduates
240 to 339 graduates
340 to 439 graduates
More than 440 graduates
- Begin using next chronological semester following the award (excluding summer);
- Complete a minimum of 30 credits per year;
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4 at the end of the academic year;
- Remain enrolled continuously each fall/spring semester for the life of the scholarship;
- Notify MGSLP if they transfer to another eligible campus during the life of the scholarship; and
- Must first contact and make appropriate arrangements with the home campus, to waive tuition or receive credit for classes taken on-line at MUS qualifying campuses other than the home campus.
Transferring 2 Plus 2 Scholarships
With proper notification, 2 Plus 2 Scholarships may be transferred to other eligible campuses. Please send a request to email@example.com, indicating which campus you are transferring to and what semester the transfer should take effect.