Montana Rural Physician Incentive Program (MRPIP)
The Montana Rural Physician Incentive Program (MRPIP), authorized by the 1991 Montana Legislature and amended in 1997, 2007, and 2017, was created to encourage physicians to provide service to rural and medically underserved areas and populations in Montana. The MRPIP fund is statutorily appropriated to be used to pay the educational debts of physicians who practice in rural or medically underserved areas of the state or who provide services to primarily medically underserved populations. The trust is funded by fees assessed to Montana medical and osteopathic medical students participating in the WICHE, WWAMI, and ICOM medical education programs.
Prospective physicians must be U.S. citizens or U.S. or Foreign nationals with:
- M.D. or D.O. Degree
- Valid State of Montana Medical License
- Qualified Medical Education Loans through U.S. Lenders and U.S. Loan Servicing Companies
MRPIP applicants are expected to:
- Continue to apply for federal NHSC loan repayment if practicing in a qualified area/location.
- While no longer required, full hospital privileges are still highly encouraged of MRPIP applicants within the broad community in which they practice. MRPIP applicants with full hospital privileges will receive priority selection.
Eligible supporting facilities must:
- Establish that a physician shortage exists and that the area has been unsuccessful in recruiting and retaining a sufficient number of physicians to serve the community.
- Communicate if they offer a loan repayment program to employees.
Application cycle runs May 1 through August 1.
Before you begin the application process for the Montana Rural Physician Incentive Program, it may be helpful to have the following information and documentation gathered.
- College entry and graduation dates
- Employer’s Human Resources contact information
- Montana Medical License Number
- Information about any other loan repayment programs, including NHSC, HIS, or employer loan repayment programs
- Professional references
- Current loan servicer information to include:
- Institution name and contact
- Purpose and type
- Original amount and current amount
- Loan Verification Form
- Copy of current statement or balance
For questions regarding this Program, please contact our office
Application opens May 1, 2024 - Application Deadline August 1, 2024