Authorization Requirements and Application Process

State Authorization Requirements

Montana Board of Regents Policy 221

Any institution offering post-secondary degree programs, as defined in Policy 221, in the state of Montana must obtain prior authorization from the Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education.

Please review the entire policy and application forms for detailed information on authorization requirements.

If your institution does not meet the minimum requirements, please email our compliance agent for more information.

Additional State Government Requirements

Your institution may also be subject to the following laws or regulations:

  • Pursuant to the laws set forth in Title 35 of the Montana Code Annotated, out-of-state businesses may not transact business in Montana without meeting the registration requirements of the Montana Secretary of State’s Office. Visit the Business Services section of the Montana Secretary of State's website.

  • Individual boards of the Montana Department of Labor and Industry have approval authority over the placement of students enrolled in an out-of-state program to undertake clinical practice in a Montana facility. A list of Montana licensing boards can be found on the Montana Department of Labor and Industry website.

  • Pursuant to the Montana Consumer Protection Act, it is unlawful to use unfair or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce. (Title 30, Chapter 14, Part 1, Montana Code Annotated).

Frequently Asked Questions

The following FAQ answers commonly asked questions about Montana state authorization requirements and process.  

Frequently Asked Questions

Application Forms

After reviewing the requirements and policies, fill out the applicable form, save it, and email it to the Montana State Authorization Compliance Officer.

State Authorization Application - Public Institutions

State Authorization Application - For-profit/non-profit Institutions

If the Montana State Authorization Compliance Officer informs your institution that it will need to secure a surety bond, please use the following form:

Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education Surety Bond for Postsecondary Educational Institutions

Once completed, please send the original bond to:

Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education
Attn: Hannah Tokerud
560 N. Park Ave
Helena, MT 59601

The Montana State Authorization Compliance Agent will attempt to respond to all inquiries and submissions within 20 days of receipt.

Find Institutions Authorized to Operate in Montana