What Is Montana 10?
Montana 10 is a new scholarship and community at Helena College University of Montana and the University of Montana-Missoula. The program offers academic, social, and financial supports designed to help students succeed in college. Students who become Montana 10 Scholars will be part of a special group of students all across Montana leading the way in a new way of doing college—a kind of college where students have the financial support they need, the community and guidance that knows them and supports them as individuals, and the specialized academic support that will help them achieve their education goals and launch their careers.
How Can Montana 10 Help You Succeed?
We know that college is a big commitment. Being a Montana 10 Scholar will mean that you’ll have a lot more support and resources in helping you achieve your academic and career goals. As a Montana 10 Scholar, you will be more likely to graduate on time, with less debt, and with excellent preparation for your chosen career. This will set you up for professional and personal success throughout life.
Montana 10 includes these key components to help you succeed:
- A dedicated orientation program for Montana 10 Scholars
- A special Montana 10 advisor who knows you and your goals
- A waiver covering all tuition and mandatory fees that remain after you apply for and receive financial aid (Pell Grant)
- A textbook stipend every semester
- A monthly incentive worth $50
- A freshman seminar course specifically designed to successfully launch your college career
- A full-time schedule (30 credits per year)
- Tutoring specifically for Montana 10 Scholars
- Specialized math and writing courses
- Career development workshops to prepare you for your chosen career after graduation
Are You Eligible to Become a Montana 10 Scholar?
To be eligible for Montana 10, you will need to:
How Do You Apply?
To participate in Montana 10, you must complete an application, which should take about 10 minutes. The application helps us to gather basic information about you and your goals. The answers you provide here will not affect your chances of being selected into Montana 10.
Which Campuses Are Participating in Montana 10?
The first cohort of Montana 10 Scholars will enroll at one of two institutions in Fall 2020: Helena College and the University of Montana. To learn more, contact the representative at your campus:
What Does it Mean That This is a Pilot Project?
Montana 10 is a part of a study being conducted by the Montana University System that looks into the role that these types of services and financial supports play in students' college experience and outcomes. The study will track the progress of around 300 Montana 10 Scholars and compare aspects of their college experience to a similar number of students receiving traditional campus services. Around half of student who apply will be chosen to participate. Participation will be determined through a random lottery (like flipping a coin).