YLA Kicks Off September 2021!
What is the Youth Leadership Academy?
Sophmores and Juniors! Looking to challenge yourself and stand out from the crowd? Empower your student story with life changing experiences and opportunities through the Montana GEAR UP Youth Leadership Academy (YLA). Gain unparalled access to GEAR UP state leadership. Voice your ideas and opinions for how to better GEAR UP. Gain volunteer and leadership experience to put on college applications or job resumes. Have a chance to travel to Washington D.C. or San Francisco. Everything has been paid for by your Montana GEAR UP program! Interested? Keep reading!
The YLA is a unique opportunity for GEAR UP (GU) students to learn and explore leadership concepts and how to apply them at school in a tangible way through service learning projects.YLA students will...
- form relationships with other GEAR UP students from across the state
- travel for a yearly training,
- participate in monthly webinars
- implement a service-learning project or internship at school!
Interested participants make a 1-year extra-curricular commitment to the YLA learning community. Service projects and itnernships take place throughout students' junior and senior years.
Youth Leadership Academy Conference - Billings, Fall 2021
Youth Leadership Summit (YLS) - Washington D.C, Summer 2022
Students who paritciapte fully in the YLA program and who successfully complete a service learning proejct or intership during their time in the YLA will have the opportunity be nominated for the Youth Leadership Summit in Washington D.C. in 2022! Gear up for over 3.5 days of exciting workshops and incredible sight seeing in the big city. The program culminates with a student-led presentation to the NCCEP/GEAR UP Annual Conference attendees. Click to see the action from 2019!
How Can I Get Involved?
Eligible students include current 10th and 11th graders. Students commit to building a service learning project or particpate in an intership in school year 2021-2022. All students should be involved in GEAR UP programming, excited to fully participate, able to behave appropriately in an adult conference setting, and display leadership qualities inside and outside the classroom.
Application & Recruitment
Students must complete a short application, questions, and aletter of recommendation.
- 2 student applicants will be selected from each GEAR UP school.
- April 16: student applications must be submitted to GEAR UP by
- Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or;
- Mail to: 560 N. Park Ave. Helena, MT 59602 or;
- Submit to your GEAR UP coordiantor at yours school and they will get it to us!
- May 1: Students will be notified of selection to the Academy.
- June 1: Complete enrollment forms for each student and family.
The following forms must be completed by each student to participate in the program.