ITEM 123-2002-R0504 ATTACHMENT
Board of Regents Policy: Physical Plant B Section 1003.7
This Authority request is for an amount greater than $150,000, which requires the following additional information:
(a) Project Description:
This project includes the following elements:
1. Design and construction of SUB renovation/addition $12,280,000
2. Design of a new Black Box Theater addition to $ 2,750,000
the Visual Communications Building
3. Design and construction of H&PE Complex $12,600,000
4. Overall Contingency $ 370,000
Total Authority $28,000,000
* Authority to construct the Black Box Theater addition ($2.75 million) to the Visual Communications Building will be requested thru the 2005 Legislative LRBP process.
(b) Cost Estimate and Funding Sources:
1. SUB Renovation
C Design/Construction Admin $ 1,850,000
C Construction $ 8,865,000
C Contingency $ 1,565,000
2. Black Box Theater
C Design/Construction Admin $ 330,000
C Construction $ 2,170,000
C Contingency $ 250,000
ST $ 2,750,000
3. H&PE Complex
C Design/Construction Admin $ 1,900,000
C Construction $ 9,100,000
C Contingency $ 1,600,000
4. Overall Contingency $ 370,000
5. Funding Source: The majority of this project will be financed through the sale of bonds that will be repaid with a combination of non-state funds from Auxiliary Operations Revenues (Renewal and Replacement Budget) in excess of debt service obligations and student fees approved for the purpose by the student body in April, 2004. The approved student fee of $55.47 per semester, for debt service, will begin in Fall Semester 2005.
(c) Program served, enrollment data, projected enrollment:
The SUB and H&PE facilities serve virtually the entire student body, providing food, entertainment, recreational and exercise venues, as well as space for the MSU Bookstore, student government offices and for student organizations to meet.
For Media & Theater Arts students served, see (d) below.
(d) Space Utilization Data:
The Black Box Theater will initially serve the following classes:
C Directing 48 Students
C Scene Design 48 Students
C Multiple 400 Level Seminars 5-20 Students each
C Lighting Design 48 Students
C Stage Makeup/Costume 25 Students
C Film in America 80 students
C International Film & TV 35 Students
C Understanding Theater 120 Students
C Acting I 48 Students
C Advanced Acting 20 Students
C The additional will also include space that will be heavily used as a production facility for construction of scenery, stage properties and storage. Scenery production and rehearsals for future performances will also be a daily activity.
C Currently, the Media & Theater Arts department produces at least four productions annually, plus Shakespeare in the Parks produces two each summer, plus two other independent productions per year. Annual productions are expected to increase with completion of the new facility. All of these productions involve MTA students in various project-oriented classes such as MTA 233, 333, 470 and 476.
C Since the new Black Box Theater will be connected to the current MTA departmental building itself, we anticipate an increase in use by many other MTA sections, e.g., film screening for junior and senior projects, Tracy awards program, special screenings for larger classes, etc.
(e) Projected use for available residual space:
The existing theater in the SUB occupies ~15,000 sf, which will be vacated by the academic theater operation, reverted back to student space and renovated to accommodate additional student meeting spaces.
(f) Projected O&M Costs and proposed funding sources:
1. SUB Renovation: Additional O&M costs are projected to be ~$115,000 per year which will be funded by a combination of revenue from facility operations and student fees* approved for the purpose by the student body in April, 2004.
2. Black Box Theater: No additional O&M cost liability will incurred. Existing O&M funding that supports the existing theater, which will be retired, will now support the new Black Box Theater.
3. H&PE Complex: Additional O&M costs are projected to be ~$145,000 per year which will be funded by a combination of revenue from facility operations and student fees* approved for the purpose by the student body in April, 2004.
* The approved student fee for O&M will begin in Fall Semester 2006 at $3 per semester and will increase each fall by $3 per semester until a total fee of $9 per semester is reached.