Montana Teachers Dual Credit
Incentive Program

Check Qualifications:  Dual Credit Teacher Requirements

Of course you’re qualified to teach, so why are there additional requirements for teaching dual credit?

As a dual credit teacher, your students get both high school credit and college credit. Both institutions are overseen by different accrediting bodies with different requirements for their instructors. To teach dual credit, whether it’s in a high school or in a college, instructors must satisfy both accrediting bodies. College professors that have high school students in their classes seeking dual credit have to maintain Montana secondary educator licensure. High school instructors that have high school students seeking college credit for their classes must fulfill the minimum hiring requirements for adjunct instructors. The minimum requirements are set by the Montana Board of Regents Policy 730.

Understanding BOR 730: Teacher requirements depend on the course

Types of Courses and Requirements

The requirements for teaching dual credit in a high school as a secondary instructor depend on the type of course. The section below describes the types of courses and the requirements associated with each. All verification of instructors for teaching dual credit is conducted by the regional two-year college that will be granting the credit, each college uses BOR Policy 730 to evaluate instructor qualifications. Therefore, the information presented here summarizes the information utilized by your local two-year college only so that you can better understand the process. It is vital to connect with your local two-year college to establish dual credit..

General Education (Gen. Ed.)/Core

What are Gen. Ed./Core courses?

These are courses that are designed to apply to a wide variety of degrees and commonly make up the non-major, non-elective parts of a four year degree. Gen. Ed./Core courses are foundation components of a University education (4-year), and part of building academically well rounded students. They are also found in AA and AS degrees, although in lower quantities. The somewhat generic applicability of the courses allows students to complete general coursework anywhere in the MUS and take it with them to be applied towards their Core graduation requirements at the college where they complete their degree.

Examples of transfer courses are College Writing I and II-WRIT101/201, College Algebra M121, Calculus M171, Principals of Living Systems-BIO160, Interpersonal Communications-COMX115, Intro to Psychology-PSYX 100, Intro to Sociology-SOCI 101, Intro to Lit-LIT 110, etc. Note that this list is in no way inclusive. Generally, Gen. Ed/Core courses are not yet focused on a particular major or degree program, they are common.

What are the requirements for teaching Gen. Ed./Core courses for concurrent enrollment?

To comply with Board of Regents policy and accreditation requirements instructors delivering college credit must meet the minimum adjunct criteria for teaching at an MUS two-year college. For Gen.Ed./Core this is a master’s degree that includes a minimum of 9 graduate semester credits in the discipline to be taught. ¬†Therefore, a teacher with a master’s degree in the discipline they wish to teach meets Board of Regents policy without need for additional coursework. A teacher with a master’s degree in education, or a closely related field, that includes 9 semester graduate credits in the content area in which they wish to teach dual credit also fulfills BOR Policy 730 and is capable of instructing dual credit courses in that subject without further coursework.

Have a master’s but not the 9 graduate credits? Teachers that possess a master’s degree but lack the 9 graduate credits in the content area have an option as of May 2014. The BOR revised Policy 730 specific to secondary teachers teaching concurrent enrollment. With the approval of the coordinating two-year college, a teacher who possesses a master’s degree but lacks the 9 graduate credits can start instruction for dual credit if they meet a few criteria:

  1. complete a professional development plan to earn the 9 graduate credits in the content area of the dual credit course within three years,
  2. the coordinating two-year college’s chief academic officer and the instructor both agree to and sign the professional development plan and review it annually,
  3. the secondary instructor must enroll in the first graduate course by the first semester the concurrent enrollment instruction begins in the high school,
  4. the secondary instructor must demonstrate annual progress towards obtaining the 9 graduate credits.

The temporary waiver is an excellent option for an instructor looking to start teaching dual credit but is just lacking that 9 graduate credits. Check out the resources page for in-state options for obraining grad credits.

Career Technical Education (CTE) Courses

What are CTE courses?

These are courses designed largely for use within a specific program at a college, usually in a one or two year program. The courses generally have an emphasis on preparing students to enter workforce with relevant and immediately-applicable workplace skills. These courses also transfer widely throughout the MSU, however one and two-year programs tend to be more individualized to campuses due to alignment with regional workforce needs, so some courses may not be part of a degree program at all campuses or in all programs. These courses are often, but not always, accepted as electives in four-year degree programs.  

Examples of CTE courses include:

Business Mathematics (M 108), Technical Mathematics (M111), Workplace Communications (WRIT104), Accounting Procedures (ACTG 101), Medical Terminology (AHMS 144), Programming with Java (CSCI 111), Welding Theory I (WLDG 111), Intro to Agricultural and Environmental Resources (AGSC 101), Basic MS Office (CAPP131), Fundamentals of Construction Technology (CSTN 100), Intro to CAD (DDSN 114), Personal Finance (BFIN 205)

What are the requirements for teaching CTE and non-transfer courses for concurrent enrollment?

Educators teaching concurrent enrollment in CTE areas must have three years’ occupational experience in the field to be taught, or an equivalent number of years of postsecondary education in the field combined with work experience in the career/technical discipline.

It is vital to work with your local two year college to discuss
your qualifications and how they apply to the policy.