Office of Commissioner of Higher Education
Title II, Part A: Improving Teacher Quality Grant Program
The purpose of the Improving Teacher Quality grant program is to ensure our state's high-need middle school and high school teachers and principals have the opportunity to become highly qualified. Title II, Part A legislation provides state education agencies with the flexibility to use these funds creatively to address challenges to teacher quality. Grant projects must provide high-qualified professional development. Professional development includes, but is not limited to, activities that
- improve and increase teachers' knowledge of academic subjects and enable teachers to become highly qualified;
- are an integral part of broad schoolwide and districtwide educational improvement plans;
- give teachers and principals the knowledge and skills to help students meet challenging state academic standards;
- improve classroom management skills;
- are sustained, intensive, and classroom focused and are not one-day or short-term workshops;
- advance teacher understanding of effective instruction strategies that are based on scientifically based research, and
- are developed with extensive participation of teachers, principals, parents, and administration.
For more information about the grant requirements, please following the links in the left-hand navigation bar.