Proposed Revision to 801.3 - Leaves; Leave Without Pay
1. Faculty, administrators and professional supervisory personnel are eligible for a leave of absence without pay after two years of continuous service in accordance with the following procedures.
1. Such leave shall not be deemed earned leave time, nor become a vested right or interest, nor be, nor become, an implied provision of any contract. The Board of Regents retains the right to amend, alter, rescind or abolish this leave policy at any time.
2. Each president shall submit by September
1 an annual summary of leaves without pay to the Commissioner of Higher
Education for the prior fiscal year.
3. Leaves without pay shall normally
not exceed two years duration.
4. Satisfactory programs or projects shall
include research, education, travel or related work in other institutions, or
private or business organizations, or other activities which the president of the university unit, or, if
applicable, the Commissioner of Higher Education, agrees will improve the staff
member professionally or will directly or indirectly benefit the institution or the state.
5. Requests for leave without pay
shall be made to the unit administrator
of the unit at
which an applicant is employed.
6. Requests for leaves without pay for
presidents must be recommended by the Commissioner of Higher Education.
7. All leave requests shall be
submitted to the Board of Regents through the Commissioner of Higher Education
8. Campus procedures for implementing this
policy shall be developed by the unit, shall generally be consistent throughout
the Montana University System, and shall be filed with the Commissioner of
9. Employees who are on an approved
leave of absence without pay may continue to be covered by the employer's group
insurance for up to two years provided they pay the amount of the employer's
contribution plus any required employee contribution. Payment must be made to the business office prior to the close of
the payroll date in order for the coverage to be effective.
Definitions : 1. "Unit" means a campus of
the Montana University System or the office of the Commissioner of Higher
Item 204-001, November 27, 1967 as amended October 29, 1976. The portion of Item 204-001 relating to leaves without pay is rescinded; Item 20-002-R0478, Leave without pay; Montana University System (Revised), May 31, 1978 as amended March 22, 1993.