Proposed Revision to 801.2 - Leaves; Administrative Personnel
Chancellors of the Montana University System units,
Vice Presidents and Vice Chancellors, Deans, Directors of Schools, and other
administrative personnel as well as the Commissioner of Higher Education and
members of his staff are eligible for Administrative Personnel Leave. Supervisory personnel in positions not
directly related to academic administration are eligible for Administrative
Personnel Leave also. Such leaves shall be granted according to the following
1. Administrative personnel leaves shall be subject to budget limitations that may exist.
2. Satisfactory programs or projects
include study, research, travel, related work in other institutions or private
or business organizations or other activities which the president
of the unit or the
Commissioner of Higher Education agree will improve the staff member
professionally or which directly or indirectly benefit the institution and
3. Requests for such leave must show value
to the respective
unit of the
university system and cause no
impairment of the unit's
program because of the applicant's absence.
4. Any individual receiving an
administrative leave will be expected to return to his or her university system
employment for at least one contract period or to repay money received from the
5. Administrative leave shall not be deemed earned leave time, nor become vested right or interest, nor be, nor become, an implied provision of any contract.
6. Each president shall submit by September l an annual summary of administrative leaves to the Commissioner of Higher Education for the prior fiscal year.
7. All applications for administrative leave
shall be submitted to the President of
or if applicable to the Commissioner of Higher Education, allowing sufficient
time for evaluation prior to the beginning of the leave. Requests for administrative leave for
presidents must be recommended by the Commissioner of Higher Education. All leave requests shall be submitted to the
Board of Regents through the Commissioner of Higher Education for approval.
8. Campus procedures for implementing this
policy shall be developed by the unit, shall be generally consi stent
throughout the Montana University System, and shall be filed with the
Commissioner of Higher Education.
Definition : 1.
"Unit" means a campus of
the Montana University System or the Office of the Commissioner of Higher
Item 204-001, November 27, 1967 as amended October 29, 1976; (The portion of Item 204-001 relating to administrative and supervisory leave is rescinded); Item 20-001-R0478, Leaves, Administrative Personnel, Montana University System, May 31, 1978, as revised July 6, 1995.