Proposed Revision to 709.1 - Promotion to the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education
1. The Commissioner of Higher Education is encouraged to employ personnel with experience and expertise gained from employment at a unit of the Montana University System.
2. Campus administrative employees shall have the opportunity to be promoted to vacant professional staff positions in the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education without a statewide or national search after discussions between the Commissioner and the appropriate president.
3. If the Commissioner decides a statewide or national search would produce more qualified candidates for the open position, such a search may be conducted, but all applicants for promotion from the Montana University System will be considered.
1. These promotions must be in accordance with the following career ladders:
a. campus academic administrators may be promoted to the position of deputy commissioner for academic affairs or another academic administrative position;
b. campus fiscal administrators may be promoted to the position of deputy commissioner for fiscal affairs or another fiscal position;
c. campus legal counsel may be promoted to chief counsel or staff attorney positions;
d. campus personnel administrators may be promoted to personnel or labor relations positions.
e. institutional studies officers may be promoted to director of research and services.
2. Notice of promotional opportunities shall be mailed to each campus president to be posted according to campus procedure.
Item 15-901-R1276, Policy for Filling Vacancies on the Staff of the Commissioner of Higher Education (Revised), February 14, 1977 (Rescinded); Item 20-901-R0478, Promotion of Campus Administrative Staff to Positions in the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education, April 11, 1978.