Proposed Revision to 401.1 - Consulting Services - Faculty
1. Recognizing that teaching, research and public service are the primary responsibilities of faculty members in the Montana University System, it may be reasonable and feasible for faculty members to engage in consulting activities.
of the Montana University System shall adopt rules and regulations governing
consulting activities carried on by faculty members.
1. Each campus policy shall:
a. require reimbursement to the institution whenever an employee uses the institution's personnel, facilities or equipment in the conduct of his or her consulting activities. Such reimbursement must be consistent with rates charged to outside groups or persons for similar uses;
b. include guidelines and procedures to govern consulting activities which involve the placement by faculty members of competitive bids which shall include:
(l) procedures for obtaining the prior approval of the Administration;
(2) provisions relating to rates of reimbursement for institutional facilities and equipment and for other indirect costs borne by the institution;
(3) provisions defining appropriate arrangements for the use of university personnel or students; and
(4) provisions defining and prohibiting conflicts of interest.
2. Rules and regulations adopted by each
of the Montana University System shall be made available to the Commissioner of
Higher Education and to all faculty members in
concerned by publication in a Faculty Handbook or by other means.
3. Annually, by October 1, each campus should prepare an inventory of faculty consulting activities, including relevant documentation, during the preceding
For purposes of this policy, "consulting" is defined as any additional activity beyond duties assigned by the institution, professional in nature and based in the appropriate discipline for which the individual receives additional personal compensation during the contract year.
Item 223-002, September 11, 1972 (Superseded); Item 2-015-R1073, October 19, 1973 (Superseded); Item 2-015-R1073 (Revised), September 13, 1976 and July 1, 1996.