Proposed Revisions to 1202.1 - Intercollegiate Athletics; Program Guidelines
1. Intercollegiate athletics is defined as a university or college program.
2. The Board of Regents expects that programs
of intercollegiate activities shall be conducted which are suitable for the
institutions. The desirability of applying certain common
principles for the support and operation of intercollegiate athletics is
3. Intercollegiate athletics shall be budgeted and funded in the same manner as any other regular program of the university system.
Each campus shall formulate procedures to insure student participation in decisions concerning the intercollegiate athletic program.
4. To assure the absence of any discrimination
between the two programs on the basis of sex, the
units of the Montana University System are authorized to make available for women's
intercollegiate athletics such fee waivers and other forms of support as are
proportionately commensurate with those authorized for men's intercollegiate
comply with National Collegiate Athletic Association , National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics regulation, or
Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women, whichever is
applicable in accordance with University unit membership,
and with the rules established by the athletic conferences to which each unit now belongs or may join.
6. No athlete shall be given an academic scholarship or an academic grant-in-aid except when qualified for such an award on the basis of academic performance the same as any other student.
State Board of Education ex officio Regents of the University of Montana, October 9, 1961; "Guide for Conduct of Intercollegiate Athletics for the University of Montana", Oct. 9, 1961 (rescinded); Board of Regents of Higher Education, September 8, 1975; Item 5-005-R0774, July 8, 1974 (Rescinded); Item 15-003-R0277, February 14, 1977, Item 17-005-R0777, July 11, 1977.