TO: Montana Board of Regents
FROM: Kevin McRae, Director
Labor Relations and Human Resources
RE: Approval of Tentative Agreement with the Montana District Council of Laborers
DATE: September 21-23, 2005
Attached is a summary of the tentative agreement reached with the Montana District Council of Laborers. This bargaining unit consists of approximately 145 custodians, groundskeepers, maintenance workers, and equipment mechanics at MSU-Billings, MSU-Bozeman, and UM-Missoula. The tentative agreement was ratified by members of the bargaining unit and includes modifications made to the prior agreement.
Major changes include:
- Conversion from State pay plan to Montana University System Staff Compensation Plan.
- Wage increases in accordance with HB 447—3.5 percent or $1,005 annually, whichever is greater and 4.0 percent or $1,188 annually, whichever is greater, effective October 1, 2005, and October 1, 2006, respectively.
- Minimum wage of $8.25 per hour effective October 1, 2005.
- Hourly wage differential for employees trained, certified, and assigned responsibilities for asbestos abatement.
- Four-year term of contract, with wage opener in 2007.
- Continuation the Dependent Partial Tuition Waiver.
- Increased health insurance contributions in accordance with statute.
Other modifications were made for reasons of clarification and/or contract housekeeping.
I recommend approval of the tentative agreement with the Montana District Council of Laborers.