TO: Montana Board of Regents
FROM: Kathy Crego, Director
Labor Relations and Human Resources
RE: Approval of Tentative Agreement with the Montana District Council of Laborers
DATE: July 14-15, 2005
Attached is a summary of the tentative agreement reached with the Montana District Council of Laborers. The tentative agreement was ratified by members of the bargaining unit and includes modifications made to the prior agreement. The entire collective bargaining agreement is available at the Montana University System web site.
This bargaining unit is comprised of approximately 135 custodians, groundskeepers, maintenance workers, and equipment mechanics at the MSU-Billings and MSU-Bozeman. Ten maintenance and insulation technicians at UM-Missoula, formerly in this bargaining unit, have been placed in a bargaining unit with employees of the Motor Pool in Missoula. This change was accomplished through mutual agreement with the employees, union and management representatives in order to provide a more logical community of interest among bargaining unit members.
Major changes include:
- Conversion from State pay plan to Montana University System Staff Compensation Plan.
- Wage increases in accordance with HB 447—3.5 percent or $1,005 annually, whichever is greater and 4.0 percent or $1,188 annually, whichever is greater, effective October 1, 2005, and October 1, 2006, respectively.
- Minimum wage of $8.25 per hour effective October 1, 2005.
- Hourly wage differential for employees trained, certified, and assigned responsibilities for asbestos abatement.
- Four-year term of contract, with wage opener in 2007.
- Continuation the Dependent Partial Tuition Waiver.
- Increased health insurance contributions in accordance with statute.
Other modifications were made for reasons for clarification and/or contract housekeeping.
I recommend approval of the tentative agreement with the Montana District Council of Laborers.