July 8-9, 2004
ITEM 124-1503-R0704 Authorization to increase spending authority previously granted by ITEM 118-1501-R0303 to renovate two rooms (approximately 1700 sq. ft) in the Chemistry/Biology Building to accommodate the interim home of the National Center for Health Care Informatics; Montana Tech of The University of Montana
THAT: The Board of Regents of Higher Education authorizes Montana Tech of The University of Montana to renovate two rooms in the Chemistry/Biology Building to accommodate the interim home of the National Center for Health Care Informatics. This request is to revise and increase spending authority from $188,255 to $225,000 for architectural and construction costs (see (b) of attachment). This amount ($225,000) matches the amount of spending authority delegated to Montana Tech from The University of Montana’s Spending Authority as set forth in House Bill 5 of the Fifty-Eighth Legislature.
EXPLANATION: Montana Tech and St. James Healthcare have worked together to create a new BS and AAS degree in Health Care Informatics at Montana Tech. That program started during Fall Semester 2002.
St. James has also taken the lead on a federal grant requests to create the National Center for Health Care Informatics that will eventually be built on the campus of St. James Healthcare in Butte, MT. In September 2002, a $400,000 federal grant was received to construct the interim site for the National Center for Health Care Informatics at Montana Tech.
Montana Tech has identified two rooms in the Chemistry/ Biology Building that could be used for the interim center. Because of a lack of funding, these rooms were intentionally left unfinished when renovation of the facility was completed in 1999. The grant funds would be used to renovate and equip one room into a 24-seat multi-media classroom for use by the students in the Health Care Informatics curriculum. The second room would be renovated and equipped to accommodate offices and storage space. All construction would conform to the construction standards established during the renovation completed in 1999.
The entire project will be financed by non-state funds and will result in no new programs.
Attachment: Additional information