MONTANA BOARD OF REGENTS OF HIGHER EDUCATION
Policy and Procedures Manual
ITEM 122-104-R0304 Attachment 4 PAGE: 940.23 (1 of 1)
SUBJECT: FINANCIAL AFFAIRS Effective: November 18, 1999
Section: 940.23 Computer Fee; Montana Issued: December 10, 1999
1. Each student enrolled in the regular instructional program (including summer session) at a campus of the Montana University System may be assessed a per semester credit hour computer fee consistent with the number of credits assessed for registration and incidental fees. The amount of the fee must be approved by the Board of Regents as part of the annual inventory of fees for each campus.
2. The computer fee shall be deposited in a separate Plant Fund account and may be expended in accordance with the following procedures.
1. Expenditures shall be made for the purchase or lease of computer equipment, software, maintenance or related items which will benefit the instructional program. Expenditures may not be made for recurring personal services.
2. A president or chancellor may authorize expenditures from such funds up to $10,000.
3. Expenditures between $10,000 and $25,000 may be authorized by the president or chancellor with the approval of the Commissioner of Higher Education.
4. Expenditures over $25,000 shall be approved by the Board of Regents.
5. 10% of all collections shall be reserved on campus for system‑wide projects for the benefit of all campuses; provided, however, that these reserved funds may be utilized for campus or unit projects with the approval of the Commissioner of Higher Education. The funds may be released by the Commissioner to the individual campuses upon yearly review.
6. Each president or chancellor shall establish procedures which include a computer fee advisory committee made up of a minimum of 50% students to provide for student advice in the use of these funds.
7. An annual report on the use of the computer fee shall be submitted
annuallyto the Commissioner of Higher Education and the Board of Regents upon request.
Item 39‑001‑R0683, Computer Fee, Montana University System, July 29, 1983 as amended May 3, 1985, June 21, 1991, March 28, 1996, May 22, 1997, and November 18, 1999 (Item 104-103-R0999).