November 20-21, 2003
ITEM 121-2703-R1103 Authorization to Install Fire Suppression Systems in Various Residence Halls; Montana State University-Billings
THAT: Consistent with the provisions of MCA 18-2-102 (2) (b), the Board of Regents of Higher Education authorizes MSU-Billings to install fire suppression systems in various residence halls at the MSU-Billings campus. The estimated cost for this project is $450,000.
EXPLANATION: 1. Petro and Rimrock Halls currently have no fire suppression systems. The Student Union portion of Rimrock Hall is served by a partial fire sprinkler system. These buildings are currently used for student dormitories and related functions. This project would substantially decrease the risk of catastrophic fire in the buildings.
2. The fire suppression systems would not substantially increase the operating and maintenance requirements of these existing buildings.
3. A small amount of existing building utility area may be modified to provide space for fire protection systems, but no significant building areas will change usage.
4. The projects will most likely be phased to minimize disruptions.
5. This project will be financed with funds from Auxiliary Operations Revenue (Renewal and Replacement Budget) in excess of debt service obligations.
6. This project will result in no new programs.