September 19-20, 2002
ITEM 116-2702-R0902 Authorization to Renovate Space Within the College of Technology; Montana State University-Billings
THAT: Consistent with the provisions of the Board of Regents Policy and Procedures Manual; Physical Plant Authorization for Building Projects “All proposals for new construction or renovation of an existing building with costs in excess of $150,000 shall be submitted to the Board of Regents for approval.” the Board authorizes Montana State University- Billings to renovate space within the College of Technology. The estimated cost is $1,000,000.
EXPLANATION: 1. The College of Technology is located in a 115,000 square foot building 7 miles west of the main campus of Montana State University – Billings.
2. Last biennium the Legislature authorized planning funds for a $10,000,000 addition/renovation at the College of Technology. The project included $8,000,000 of LRBP funds along with $2,000,000 of other funds.
3. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has granted $1,000,000 to renovate the College of Technology at Montana State University – Billings to provide an innovative support system and environment to meet the needs of new local, regional, and statewide technology industries. Another $1,000,000 is pending.
4. The scope of the (HUD funded) first phase will construct approximately 7,500 square feet of second story space above an existing shop area. The new space will consist of classrooms, labs, and support areas for the Technology Training Center (attachment 1).
5. This project will be financed with federal (VA-HUD- Independent Agencies Appropriations Act for FY 2002) funds.
6. The use of federal fund for this project requires the approval of the Board of Regents and the consent of the Governor.
7. This construction will not result in new programs. The renovation will assist in meeting the growing needs of previously approved programs and the growing student FTE at the College of Technology.
8. There will be no additional operation and maintenance costs due to this construction. This is a remodeling of existing space that already has operation maintenance costs build in.
9. Additional project documentation is enclosed (attachment 2).
Construct and remodel approximately 7,500 square feet to accommodate:
· Classrooms, labs, and support areas for the Technology Training Center (attachment 1)
Project Request: $1,000,000
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)