ITEM 103-103-R0599- Approval of Denturist Technology Program for Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
Under the Provisions of MCA 37-29-303(1), the Montana Board of Regents is charged with "recognition" of educational institutions… "accredited by a national or regional accrediting agency recognized by the Montana State Board of Regents, the curriculum of which includes…." The Office of the Commissioner for Higher Education has received a request for such recognition from Northern Alberta Institute of Technology for their Denturist Technology Program.
Effective 1999 ; Issued 1999
1. Although the Montana Board of Regents requires institutions under its purview to maintain accreditation by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Colleges, there is no similar system of voluntary, regional accreditation applicable to Canadian colleges, vocational colleges and universities.
2. In Canada, public institutions are granted the right to operate within their respective provinces through statutes effected by the individual provincial legislatures. In addition, the provincial Minister of Education approves the mandate of each institution and the provincial Department of Education approves the individual credit programs.
3. Given Montana's proximity to Canada and because the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Colleges is one of two regional associations that does not provide accreditation services to non-U.S. institutions of post-secondary education, the Montana Board of Regents wishes to establish criteria for the recognition of Canadian colleges and universities.
1. Pursuant to the practices of the Canadian provincial governments that authorize post-secondary institutions to operate by statute, the Montana Board of Regents will recognize those institutions that have been authorized by their respective provincial governments.
2. With regard to individual programs, the Montana Board of Regents will recognize those programs that are within the mandate of the institution as approved by the several Canadian provincial Ministers of Education.
3. Finally, for credit programs, the Montana Board of Regents will recognize those which have been approved by the respective provincial Ministers of Education as being within an institution's mandate. With regard to transfer and acceptance of credit from these programs, the campuses of the Montana University System will process the transcripts and evaluate credits pursuant to Regents' policy 301.5.