Board of Regents
December 13, 2002
- The Commissioner has announced his retirement and will depart by the end of February 2003.
- The Montana Constitution mandates there be a commissioner of higher education and that the Board of Regents will prescribe his term and duties.
- The Board has a contract with Dr. Crofts which expires on June 30,† 2003, with further employment guaranteed through June 30, 2004.
- The Board has reviewed and approved the Commissionerís duties and responsibilities 9 months ago by affirming the attached resolution and his job description.† One member wishes to again open this issue at this meeting.
- Our Policy 204.2 does not proscribe a process to select an interim commissioner; it only directs that the board set the process.
- The board is assembled here at the call of the Chair in special meeting for the announced purpose to have the board discuss and authorize a process for selection of an interim commissioner who will perform the role and duties of the commissioner.
- Compounding the selection may be the fact that the Montana Legislature will begin their ninety-day assembly deliberations on January 6, 2003.†