A. †††† Responsibility:††††††††† To ensure the integrity of the Montana Board of Regents and to manage the governance process and the affairs of the Board, in addition to all responsibilities as a member of the Board.
B.††††† Role and Duties:
Acts as the
designated authority that speaks primary spokesperson for the actions of the Board.
unless the Board
specifically authorizes others.
2. Presides over Board meetings and ensures the Board acts within its own rules and follows an orderly process.
3. Ensures Board deliberations are timely, fair, orderly and thorough, and efficient (limited to time and kept to the point).
4. Provides leadership through a vision of the organization and fosters co-operative relationships between the Board and its constituencies.
5. Maintains the primary linkage between the University Systemís strategic planning priorities and the ongoing work of the Board.
6. Coordinates the overall agenda for and annual calendar of the Board, and reviews draft agendas prepared by staff for individual Board meetings.
7. Selects members for committee and other assignments.
8. Assures that the Boardís organizational structure and individual membersí assignments are effective in supporting Board priorities.
9. Develops the Boardís knowledge and capabilities through oversight of the information presented to, and the continuing education opportunities provided for, Board members.
10. Assists the recruitment and orientation of new Board members, and assures the development of future Board leadership, with a smooth transition to the next Chairperson.
11. Represents the Board effectively to its various constituencies, both inside and outside the System, and acts as the Boardís primary link to the public.
12. Provides counsel and works closely with the Commissioner, both formally and informally, and maintains a close interchange of opinions as to process, procedure, and deliberations.† Provides guidance to the Commissioner between meetings of the Board and serves as the liaison between the Board and the Commissioner on personnel matters and issues.
13. Oversees the establishment of performance expectations and the conduct of the evaluation processes.
14. Upholds the Boardís bylaws, policies, and codes of expectations and conduct and intervenes with members of the Board whenever circumstances warrant.
C.††††† Limitations:†††††††††††††† Chairperson authority does not extend to making decisions regarding the means by which the Commissioner carries out his/her directives.