MONTANA BOARD OF REGENTS OF HIGHER EDUCATION
Policy and Procedures Manual
SUBJECT: STUDENT AFFAIRS
Policy 506.1 - Student Participation in Fee Decisions
Effective January 17, 2003; Issued February 7, 2003
The associated student governments of the Montana University System will be given opportunity to take part in discussion with the Board of Regents concerning any changes in tuition or fees. Before approving or increasing any fee, the Board of Regents will give the duly constituted student government organization the opportunity to express student opinion regarding the fee. Such expression will be based on formal actions of the student senate or a student referendum.
- Each associated student government of the Montana University System will be sent notification of proposed changes in the aforementioned fees and the individual institutions will make a formal presentation to the respective associated governments prior to the time the Board of Regents is notified of these proposals.
- Included in the individual campus request for proposed changes in the aforementioned fees to the Board of Regents will be a copy of the notification to the associated student government and documentation of the formal presentation. It is the intent of the Board of Regents to not entertain any proposals regarding any fee changes or initiation of new fees without the aforementioned notification and documentation of the presentation.
- Except under extenuating circumstances, it is the intent of the Board of Regents to approve changes in the aforementioned fees at a Board meeting held during the normal academic year.
- The Board of Regents, in its deliberations on fee changes or initiation of new fees, will review any information presented to the Board by the associated student governments.
- Any fee that is not assessed for a full academic year would be deemed a new fee and would be subject to the approval procedure specified above. The one-year period does not run either during a period of delayed implementation authorized by the Board of Regents or, for course-specific fees, during a period when the course is not offered.
Item 49-002-R0985, Student Participation in Mandatory Fee Decisions; Montana University System; October 25, 1985, as revised January 23, 1997 and January 17, 2003 (ITEM 118-110-R0103).